Psalm 119:74

(This is an entry from a devotional commentary I am working on from Psalm 119 entitled ‘God and His Word’.  The introduction can be found here, successive entries have covered the 22 sections of the Psalm, and following entries verse by verse.)

 

"May those who fear You see me and be glad,

Because I wait for Your word."

 

Because I am so wonderful?  Surely not.  I have no good besides You (Psalm 16:2).  Those who fear You want more of You, and recognize that comes primarily from Your word, and secondarily the work of the word in others for our mutual benefit (e.g. see Colossians 3:16).  We see a parallel with Psalm 119:79, where those who fear You turn to me.  Why gladness?  ‘Glad’ is the Hebrew ‘שָׂמַח, śāmaḥ: A verb meaning to rejoice; to be joyful, to be glad; to gloat. It describes a state and agitation of rejoicing, of being happy.  This is the only occurrence of the word in Psalm 119.  See also the example of David in 2 Chronicles 15:9.  Those who fear You are glad because I wait for Your word.  May I always have an apt word from Your word for others that they look forward to and even depend upon.  What a joy to be used in this way, to draw deeper for Your word both for my benefit and overflowing to the benefit of others.  See Ezra 7:10, Proverbs 10:21, Proverbs 12:26, Isaiah 50:4.  The beauty is that I lead by example; an excellent teacher must be a devoted learner.  Praise You, Father!  I have beloved friends that I can depend on, and, by Your grace, can depend on me.

 

‘When a man of God obtains grace for himself he becomes a blessing to others, especially if that grace has made him a man of sound understanding and holy knowledge. God-fearing men are encouraged when they meet with experienced believers… It is good for the eyes to see a man whose witness is that the Lord is true; it is one of the joys of saints to hold converse with their more advanced brethren… We do not only meet to share each others' burdens, but to partake in each others' joys, and some men contribute largely to the stock of mutual gladness. Hopeful men bring gladness with them. Despondent spirits spread the infection of depression, and hence few are glad to see them, while those whose hopes are grounded upon God's word carry sunshine in their faces, and are welcomed by their fellows.’[1]



[1] Spurgeon, Charles Haddon, Treasury of David, on Psalm 119:74, e-Sword edition


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God and His Wisdom: An Introduction to Proverbs

Friendship with the World

The Cost of Christlikeness