Psalm 119:73

(This is an entry from a devotional commentary I am working on from Psalm 119 entitled ‘God and His Word’.  The introduction can be found here, successive entries have covered the 22 sections of the Psalm, and following entries verse by verse.)

 

"Your hands made me and fashioned me;

Give me understanding, that I may learn Your commandments."

 

You who crafted me are eminently qualified to rule my life.  In fact, for me to have understanding, You must!  I think of Psalm 139:13, Psalm 139:24, how You, O Lord, are Master and Creator of things seen and unseen, from the ‛āśāh, and has the sense of accomplished or completed.  ‘Fashioned’ is כּוּן, kûn and has the sense of having established or prepared.  This leads me to Ephesians 2:10 and to pray, ‘Lord, You have created me for a purpose, help me to know what it is and how Your commandments enable me to live out that purpose!’  Creation and new creation, established, sustained, and growing by Your hand!  How can we truly live without the Source of life at the center?

 

 

‘If God had roughly made us, and had not also elaborately fashioned us, this argument would lose much of its force; but surely from the delicate art and marvellous skill which the Lord has shown in the formation of the human body, we may infer that he is prepared to take equal pains with the soul till it shall perfectly bear his image.’[1]



[1] Spurgeon, Charles Haddon, Treasury of David, on Psalm 119:73, e-Sword edition


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God and His Wisdom: An Introduction to Proverbs

Friendship with the World

The Cost of Christlikeness