Psalm 119:69

(This is an entry from a devotional commentary I am working on from Psalm 119 entitled ‘God and His Word’.  The introduction can be found here, successive entries have covered the 22 sections of the Psalm, and following entries verse by verse.)

 

"The arrogant have forged a lie against me;

With all my heart I will observe Your precepts."

 

Psalm 119:69 may give a clue as to where the affliction of v.67 and v.71 come from.  Arrogant men forge lies against humble men.  I am marveling less, but I still marvel, at the apparent ease and impunity with which this happens.  Is there no shame?  May I not be naïve, let me also not be intimidated.  These poor people, whose heart is so encased in fat (v.70).  Surely You have placed them in slippery places (Psalm 73:18).  The Psalmist directs his attention away from the arrogant and doubles down on his focus on You and the promises of obedience to Your word.  Is not the nearness of God ultimate good (Psalm 73:28) and incalculable treasure (Philippians 3:7-14)?  May I measure all things by this, seeking the things which draw me closer to You and make me more like You above all else. 

 

‘He did not fear their malice, nor was he by it deterred from his duty: They have forged a lie against me. Thus they aimed to take away his good name. Nay, all we have in the world, even life itself, may be brought into danger by those who make no conscience of forging a lie… He will bear it patiently; he will keep that precept which forbids him to render railing for railing, and will with all his heart sit down silently. He will go on in his duty with constancy and resolution: “Let them say what they will, I will keep thy precepts, and not dread their reproach.”… Senseless, secure, and stupid; they are past feeling: thus the phrase is used, Isa 6:10… I would not change conditions with them.’[1]

 

‘My one anxiety shall be to mind my own business and stick to the commandments of the Lord. If the mud which is thrown at us does not blind our eyes or bruise our integrity it will do us little harm. If we keep the precepts, the precepts will keep us… When slanderers drive us to more resolute and careful obedience they work our lasting good; falsehood hurled against us may be made to promote our fidelity to the truth, and the malice of men may increase our love to God. If we try to answer lies by our words we may be beaten in the battle; but a holy life is an unanswerable refutation of all calumnies.’[2]



[1] Henry, Matthew, Commentary on the Whole Bible, on Psalm 119:69, e-Sword edition

[2] Spurgeon, Charles Haddon, Treasury of David, on Psalm 119:69, e-Sword edition


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God and His Wisdom: An Introduction to Proverbs

Friendship with the World

The Cost of Christlikeness