God and His Word: An Introduction to Psalm 119

( Click here for an audio version . Music is from 'Godpleaser' by Petra. )

 

""For I proclaim the name of the LORD;

Ascribe greatness to our God!

"The Rock! His work is perfect,

For all His ways are just;

A God of faithfulness and without injustice,

Righteous and upright is He."

(Deuteronomy 32:3-4)

 

"I will bow down toward Your holy temple

And give thanks to Your name for Your lovingkindness and Your truth;

For You have magnified Your word according to all Your name."

(Psalms 138:2)

 

"The law of the LORD is perfect, restoring the soul;’

(Psalms 19:7a)

 

" How blessed are those whose way is blameless,

Who walk in the law of the LORD.

How blessed are those who observe His testimonies,

Who seek Him with all their heart."

(Psalms 119:1-2)

 

 

Approach

As I introduce this topic, I encourage you to approach it with two key principles in mind: perfection and presence.  Surely we worship a God of infinite perfection, One whose thoughts, words, and ways are infinitely beyond ours (Isaiah 55:8-11). 

 

Surely in light of that perfection we stand in speechless awe (Psalm 33:8-9, Ecclesiastes 5:2). 

 

Yet in that perfection He is not aloof.  He draws near to us through His word (Psalm 119:151), reviving our souls and perfecting our ways. 

 

The word for ‘perfect’ in Deuteronomy 32:4 and Psalm 19:7 and ’blameless’ in Psalm 119:1 is the Hebrew תָּמִים, tāmiym: An adjective meaning blameless, complete (AMG Word Study Dictionary), entire, integrity, truth, undefiled (Strongs), whole, sound, healthful, unimpaired (Brown-Driver-Briggs).  Think about this.  The infinitely perfect God of the universe draws near to perfect (that is, transform or mature) those who walk in His law, observe His testimonies, and seek Him with all their heart.  For such they are ‘blessed’, that is, in an indescribable state of bliss.

 

I trust that by now, even reading this short introduction, your heart is stirred with curiosity, if not with deep hunger. 

 

‘Bibliolatry’?

Throughout my life I have been accused of some form of ‘bibliolatry’, that is, a worship of the Bible.  I have promoted the truth of the Bible in ways that were impatient or angry, not reflecting the character of its Author.  I have memorized and studied to impress people more than to please God.  I am guilty as charged.  Yet, looking back, I see the reality of Psalm 119:176 in my life:

 

"I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek Your servant,

For I do not forget Your commandments."

 

God in His kindness continues to pursue and transform me!  In spite of my prideful motivations, God through His word has taught, reproved, corrected, and trained me (2 Timothy 3:16), and continues to do so.

 

The biblical basis for the accusation of bibliolatry comes from John 5:38-40.  How confusing it must have been for the people of Jesus’ day to have those who knew God’s word the best reflect God’s character the least.  They seemed to relate to the book of life but refused to draw near to its Author.  How could this be?  Much could be said here, but suffice to say that the Pharisees’ focus was not God’s word, but their own man made traditions by which they invalidated it (see Matthew 15:3-9).  They worshiped not God, but themselves.

 

Is there an epidemic of bibliolatry?  Is there a growing trend of those who think too highly of the Bible and have no real relationship with the Living God?  I trust that as you meditate on the words of Psalm 119, you will see nothing of such a sentiment, but a growing realization of the incalculable treasure that God in His mercy has placed before you.  You will be blessed beyond measure as you experience God’s presence as He speaks personally and powerfully to you by His perfect Word.

 

"I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies, As much as in all riches."  (Psalm 119:14)

 

"I shall delight in Your commandments, Which I love. And I shall lift up my hands to Your commandments, Which I love; And I will meditate on Your statutes."  (Psalm 119:47-48)

 

A Word About the (Human) Author

It is not my purpose here to advocate for a specific human author of Psalm 119.  Scholars have advocated for Ezra, Daniel, and David.  Surely these men of faith were compelling examples of intimacy with God, lives transformed by God, and love for His word. 

 

Ezra 7:10

Ezra presents to us a holistic approach to God’s word: an engaged heart and a credible life as a foundation for teaching.

 

Daniel 9:9-10

Daniel lived a life of resolved conviction and faithfulness, recognizing that the welfare of God’s people was the result of their faithfulness to His word.

 

Psalm 19:7-10

In language very similar to Psalm 119 (particularly Psalm 119:103-104) David lived a life of utter dependence and love for God in His word.

 

Regardless of the human author or authors, let us worship the Great Shepherd who gave them:

"The words of wise men are like goads, and masters of these collections are like well-driven nails; they are given by one Shepherd."  (Ecclesiastes 12:11)

 

A Word About Commentaries

I have drawn from several classic, ‘old school’ commentaries in my journey, most notably Spurgeon’s Treasury of David and The Golden Alphabet, Keil & Delitzsch, Matthew Henry, and William Swan Plumer’s Studies in the Psalms.  For more technical commentary I recommend Psalms (The Expositor's Bible Commentary) by William A. VanGemeren or Psalms: AnIntroduction and Commentary by Tremper Longman III.

 

I urge you to meditate on Psalm 119 personally, slowly, and prayerfully. 

 

The Format of Psalm 119 and a Personal Note

Psalm 119 is divided into 22 8 verse sections, 1 for each letter of the Hebrew alphabet.  I have long read a section of Psalm 119 as preparation for my daily devotions.  It sharpens my mind and enflames my affections.  I am reminded of the feast God has set before me in His word.  I heartily recommend this discipline to you.

 

Psalm 119-Mem (vv. 97-104) to me represents the heart of this Psalm.  My prayer for you is that vv. 103-104 be your experience more and more each day!

 

"I have not turned aside from Your ordinances,

For You Yourself have taught me.

How sweet are Your words to my taste! Yes, sweeter than honey to my mouth!

From Your precepts I get understanding;

Therefore I hate every false way."

 

 

In His Grip,

 

Mark Daniel Twombly

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God and His Wisdom: An Introduction to Proverbs

Friendship with the World

The Cost of Christlikeness