Psalm 119:65

(This is an entry from a devotional commentary I am working on from Psalm 119 entitled ‘God and His Word’.  The introduction can be found here, successive entries have covered the 22 sections of the Psalm, and following entries verse by verse.)

 

"You have dealt well with Your servant,

O LORD, according to Your word."

 

The only way You can deal well with me is according to Your word, and praise You, not according to my self-centered desires.  I am reminded of Psalm 119:26, You answer me with Your statutes!  ‘Dealt’ has the sense of ‘accomplish’, and ‘well’ has the sense of for my benefit, my welfare. 

 

‘It is a wonder that he has not long ago discharged us, or at least reduced our allowances, or handled us roughly; yet we have had no hard dealings, all has been ordered with as much consideration as if we had rendered perfect obedience. We have had bread enough and to spare, our livery has been duly supplied, and his service has ennobled us and made us happy as kings. Complaints we have none. We lose ourselves in adoring thanksgiving, and find ourselves again in careful thanks-living.’[1]



[1] Spurgeon, Charles Haddon, Treasury of David, on Psalm 119:65, e-Sword edition


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God and His Wisdom: An Introduction to Proverbs

Friendship with the World

The Cost of Christlikeness