Psalm 119:50

(This is an entry from a devotional commentary I am working on from Psalm 119 entitled God and His Word.  The introduction can be found here, successive entries have covered the 22 sections of the Psalm, and following entries verse by verse.)

 

"This is my comfort in my affliction,

That Your word has revived me."

 

This is not a hoping in future revival, but a remembrance of past revival.  O Lord, You have done it!   Revive is the Hebrew חָיָה, chayah, to come to life and to be kept alive.  Lord, You have saved and are sustaining me by Your very word (see also vv. 25, 107, 154, Matthew 4:4).

 

‘The drunkard lifts his glass and sings, “this is my comfort”; but the man whose hope comes from God feels the life- giving power of the word of the Lord, and he testifies, “this is my comfort.” Paul said, “I know whom I have believed.”[2 Timothy 1:12] Comfort is desirable at all times; but comfort in affliction is like a lamp in a dark place. Some are unable to find comfort at such times; but it is not so with believers, for their Saviour has said to them, “I will not leave you comfortless.” Some have comfort and no affliction, others have affliction and no comfort; but the saints have comfort in their affliction.’[1]



[1] Spurgeon, Charles Haddon, Treasury of David, on Psalm 119:50, e-Sword edition


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God and His Wisdom: An Introduction to Proverbs

Friendship with the World

The Cost of Christlikeness