Psalm 119:54

(This is an entry from a devotional commentary I am working on from Psalm 119 entitled ‘God and His Word’.  The introduction can be found here, successive entries have covered the 22 sections of the Psalm, and following entries verse by verse.)

 

"Your statutes are my songs

In the house of my pilgrimage."

 

Something is wrong when Your word is not rejoiced in, and something wholly sweet and appropriate when it is.  Statutes are decrees, and pilgrimage has to do with sojourning.  I love this.  My source of joy is not the earthly place I dwell (Philippians 3:20, Psalm 49:11-12, Luke 12:20-21, 2 Corinthians 5:1) but in the One Who dwells in me (Ezekiel 36:27, John 14:17, Romans 8:9-11, 1 Corinthians 3:16, 1 Corinthians 6:19)!  We look for a better country, whose architect and builder is God (Hebrews 11:10-16).  Falsehood is all around me and makes me bitter.  Your decrees infuse me with truth and fill me with joy.

 

‘God's statutes are here his “songs,” which give him spiritual refreshing, sweeten the hardships of the pilgrimage, and measure and hasten his steps.’[1]

 

‘David knew that he was not at home in this world, but a pilgrim through it, seeking a better country. He did not, however, sigh over this fact, but he sang about it. He tells us nothing about his pilgrim sighs, but speaks of his pilgrim songs… Happy is the heart which finds its joy in the commands of God, and makes obedience its recreation… Saints find horror in sin, and harmony in holiness. The wicked shun the law, and the righteous sing of it. In past days we have sung the Lord's statutes, and in this fact we may find comfort in present affliction.’[2]



[1] Keil & Delitzsch, Commentary on the Old Testament, on Psalm 119:54,  e-Sword edition

[2] Spurgeon, Charles Haddon, Treasury of David, on Psalm 119:54, e-Sword edition


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God and His Wisdom: An Introduction to Proverbs

Friendship with the World

The Cost of Christlikeness