Psalm 119:62

(This is an entry from a devotional commentary I am working on from Psalm 119 entitled ‘God and His Word’.  The introduction can be found here, successive entries have covered the 22 sections of the Psalm, and following entries verse by verse.)

"At midnight I shall rise to give thanks to You

Because of Your righteous ordinances." 

 

Meditation and prayer are to be day and night (Joshua 1:8, Psalm 1:2).  I have risen in the middle of the night and prayed often, but it wasn’t planned.  Although many times I have resented it, I realize that it is of You, Lord.  Ordinances here are judgments.  I find that, even though increasingly my default thoughts are toward You, the sinful flesh refuses to die.  This is Your means of strengthening me even as I sleep.  Yet, I need to make nightly delight in You a priority.  How do I get to the point of retiring and waking delighting in You?  Psalm 17:15, Psalm 132:4. 

 

‘Great and good thoughts kept him awake, and refreshed him, instead of sleep; and so zealous was he for the honour of God that when others were in their beds he was upon his knees at his devotions.’[1]

 

‘He thought not of thieves, but of thanks; not of What they would steal, but of what he would give to his God. A thankful heart is such a blessing that it drives out fear and makes room for praise. Thanksgiving turns night into day, and consecrates all hours to the worship of God. Every hour is canonical to a saint…. David was charmed with these judgments. Like Paul, he could say, “I delight in the law of God after the inward man.” [Romans 7:22] He could not find time enough by day to study the words of divine wisdom, or to bless God for them, and so he gave up his sleep that he might tell out his gratitude for such a law and such a Law-giver.’[2]



[1] Henry, Matthew, Commentary on the Whole Bible, on Psalm 119:62, e-Sword edition

[2] Spurgeon, Charles Haddon, Treasury of David, on Psalm 119:62, e-Sword edition


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God and His Wisdom: An Introduction to Proverbs

Friendship with the World

The Cost of Christlikeness