Psalm 119:49

(This is an entry from a devotional commentary I am working on from Psalm 119 entitled God and His Word.  The introduction can be found here, successive entries have covered the 22 sections of the Psalm, and following entries verse by verse.)

 

"Zayin. Remember the word to Your servant,

In which You have made me hope."

 

Feeling hopeless, and speaking with others in You who feel the same, what am I to do?  Surely a dive into the deep end of the pool of Your word is in order.  Surely You have not forgotten Your word but it is likely that I have.  So my asking You to remember is really my calling to mind and seeking You on the basis of Your promises.  "This I recall to my mind, Therefore I have hope."  (Lamentations 3:21).  Surely I must be made to hope in You by experiencing hopelessness in all else.  As a slave You have complete right over me, to make me do anything.  Make me hope properly!  ‘Hope’ is the Hebrew יָחַל, yāḥal: A verb meaning to wait, to hope, to tarry.  The word appears some 40 times in the N.T., 19 in the Psalms, 6 in Psalm 119, in all other references as ‘wait’ (Psalm 119:43, Psalm 119:74, Psalm 119:81, Psalm 119:114, Psalm 119:147).  In Psalm 130:5 the hope in the word is explicit.  Surely I want to hope continually and praise You more (Psalm 71:14)!  The hope in Psalms 43-45 is an exclusive hope; I cannot legitimately hope in You and in other things, for that is rank idolatry (Psalm 118:8-9, Jeremiah 17:5-8).  ""And now, Lord, for what do I wait? My hope is in You."  (Psalms 39:7)   In the N.T., surely it is unseen hope that is the fuel of life and an anchor for the soul, Romans 8:24-25, Hebrews 6:19.

 

‘God's word is his hope and his trust amidst all derision[1]

 

‘He asks for no new promise, but to have the old word fulfilled… there is no fear, for the Lord has never forgotten a single promise to a single believer… If we hope upon his word we have a sure basis: our gracious Lord would never mock us by exciting false hopes… Let but the Lord remember his promise, and the promised act is as good as done [see also Romans 4:20-21].’[2]



[1] Keil & Delitzsch, Commentary on the Old Testament, on Psalm 119:49, e-Sword edition

[2] Spurgeon, Charles Haddon, Treasury of David, on Psalm 119:49, e-Sword edition


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God and His Wisdom: An Introduction to Proverbs

Friendship with the World

The Cost of Christlikeness