Psalm 119 - Yodh: Godly Comfort and Companionship

"Yodh. Your hands made me and fashioned me;

Give me understanding, that I may learn Your commandments.

[74] May those who fear You see me and be glad,

Because I wait for Your word.

[75] I know, O LORD, that Your judgments are righteous,

And that in faithfulness You have afflicted me.

[76] O may Your lovingkindness comfort me,

According to Your word to Your servant.

[77] May Your compassion come to me that I may live,

For Your law is my delight.

[78] May the arrogant be ashamed, for they subvert me with a lie;

But I shall meditate on Your precepts.

[79] May those who fear You turn to me,

Even those who know Your testimonies.

[80] May my heart be blameless in Your statutes,

So that I will not be ashamed." 

(Psalm 119:73-80)

 

What precious words of comfort and companionship!  We see Your nearness in fashioning me (v. 73) and my circumstances (v. 75).  You comfort me with Your word (vv. 76-77) and protect me from the influence of the arrogant (v. 78).  You provide priceless companions through the work of Your word (vv. 74, 79).  In all of this, may I continue to be blameless in Your statutes that I might receive its benefits (v. 80).

 

‘We have now come to the tenth portion, which in each stanza begins with Jod, but it certainly does not treat of jots and titles and other trifles. Its subject would seem to be personal experience and its attractive influence upon others. The prophet is in deep sorrow, but looks to be delivered and made a blessing.  Endeavouring to teach, the Psalmist first seeks to be taught (Psa 119:73), persuades himself that he will be well received (Psa 119:74), and rehearses the testimony which he intends to bear (Psa 119:75). He prays for more experience (Psa 119:76, Psa 119:77), for the baffling of the proud (Psa 119:78), for the gathering together of the godly to him (Psa 119:79), and for himself again that he may be fully equipped for his witness-bearing and may be sustained in it (Psa 119:80). This is the anxious yet hopeful cry of one who is heavily afflicted by cruel adversaries, and therefore makes his appeal to God as his only friend.’[1]



[1] Spurgeon, Charles Haddon, Treasury of David, on Psalm 119 - Yodh, e-Sword edition

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God and His Wisdom: An Introduction to Proverbs

Friendship with the World

The Cost of Christlikeness