Psalm 119 - Pe: Filled

"Pe. Your testimonies are wonderful;

Therefore my soul observes them.

[130] The unfolding of Your words gives light;

It gives understanding to the simple.

[131] I opened my mouth wide and panted,

For I longed for Your commandments.

[132] Turn to me and be gracious to me,

After Your manner with those who love Your name.

[133] Establish my footsteps in Your word,

And do not let any iniquity have dominion over me.

[134] Redeem me from the oppression of man,

That I may keep Your precepts.

[135] Make Your face shine upon Your servant,

And teach me Your statutes.

[136] My eyes shed streams of water,

Because they do not keep Your law." 

(Psalm 119:129-136)

 

This is certainly for the overwhelmed.  I need understanding, satisfaction, grace, freedom, and favor - and all are found in You.  Your word is the only thing we can gorge ourselves on and still be healthy - in fact, the more You fill us, the healthier we are!  It is not good to eat much honey nor to search out one’s own glory (Proverbs 25:27), yet it is supremely good to feast on Your word and to search out Your glory (Psalm 19:10, Psalm 119:101-104, Proverbs 24:13-14).  Your word leaves us both satisfied and hungry for more; what a miracle!   Wonderful, I observe them (v. 129), light, I see and walk in them (v. 130), satisfying, I long for them (v. 131).  Because this is my very life, which I both know and have experienced, I ask You to turn to me and be gracious (v. 132), establish my steps in Your word (v. 133), redeem me from the oppression of man (v. 134), and shine Your face upon me (v. 135).  When I go astray, I am keenly aware of what I have missed, and it is extreme sorrow (v. 136).

 

‘All the verses in this section begin with the seventeenth letter of the Hebrew alphabet, but each verse begins with a different word. This seventeenth letter is the letter P. The section is precious, practical, profitable, and powerful; peculiarly so. Let us pray for a blessing upon the reading of it.’[1]



[1]  Spurgeon, Charles Haddon . The Golden Alphabet (Updated, Annotated): An Exposition of Psalm 119 (pp. 211-212). Aneko Press. Kindle Edition.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God and His Wisdom: An Introduction to Proverbs

Friendship with the World

The Cost of Christlikeness