Psalm 119 - Samekh: Singular Focus

"Samekh. I hate those who are double-minded,

But I love Your law.

[114] You are my hiding place and my shield;

I wait for Your word.

[115] Depart from me, evildoers,

That I may observe the commandments of my God.

[116] Sustain me according to Your word, that I may live;

And do not let me be ashamed of my hope.

[117] Uphold me that I may be safe,

That I may have regard for Your statutes continually.

[118] You have rejected all those who wander from Your statutes,

For their deceitfulness is useless.

[119] You have removed all the wicked of the earth like dross;

Therefore I love Your testimonies.

[120] My flesh trembles for fear of You,

And I am afraid of Your judgments." 

(Psalms 119:113-120)

 

So much distracts within and without:  the double-minded (v. 113), evildoers (v. 115), inner shame (v. 116), inner fear (v. 117), the deceitfulness of those who wander (v. 118).  Yet this recognition leads to both restraint (see Psalm 119:101) and a focus that grows ever stronger.  The Psalmist loves Your law even more (v. 113), takes refuge in You in Your word (v. 114), develops a greater sense of dependency on Your word for very life and living (vv. 116-117).  Finally, he recognized the destiny of the wicked (v. 119) which crystalized his focus by fearing You (v. 120), which is the foundation of all knowledge and wisdom (Proverbs 1:7, Proverbs 9:10).

 

‘This octave, whose initial letter is Samech, or S, has been compared to Samson at his death, when he took hold of the pillars of the house and pulled it down on the Philistines. Note how the psalmist grips the pillars of divine power with Uphold me and Hold me up, and see how the house falls down in judgment on the unholy. Thou dost cause all the wicked of the earth to come undone like dross. This section carries the war into the enemy’s country and reveals the believer as militant against falsehood and iniquity.’[1]



[1]  Spurgeon, Charles Haddon . The Golden Alphabet (Updated, Annotated): An Exposition of Psalm 119 (pp. 187-188). Aneko Press.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God and His Wisdom: An Introduction to Proverbs

Friendship with the World

The Cost of Christlikeness