Psalm 119 - Lamedh: A Foundation of Perfection

"Lamedh. Forever, O LORD, Your word is settled in heaven.

[90] Your faithfulness continues throughout all generations;

You established the earth, and it stands.

[91] They stand this day according to Your ordinances,

For all things are Your servants.

[92] If Your law had not been my delight,

Then I would have perished in my affliction.

[93] I will never forget Your precepts,

For by them You have revived me.

[94] I am Yours, save me;

For I have sought Your precepts.

[95] The wicked wait for me to destroy me;

I shall diligently consider Your testimonies.

[96] I have seen a limit to all perfection;

Your commandment is exceedingly broad." 

(Psalms 119:89-96)

 

You established Your word (v. 89) and Your world (v. 90) as an eternal, active foundation for all of life (v. 91).  It is so sure and so personal that Your active word has both preserved (v. 92) and revived (v. 93) me.  Because of this sure foundation, I seek You to save me from this present corruption both within and without (vv. 94-95).  All human efforts have extreme limits, but the perfection of Your word is sustaining all things, from the vastness of the universe to the minuteness of my molecules and my very thoughts.  Surely You uphold all things by the word of Your power!  Colossians 1:16-17, Hebrews 1:3.

 

‘The tone is now more joyful, for experience has given the sweet singer a comfortable knowledge of the Word of the Lord, and this creates a glad theme. After tossing about on a sea of trouble, the psalmist here leaps to shore and stands upon a rock. Jehovah’s Word is not fickle or uncertain; it is settled, determined, fixed, sure, and immovable. Man’s teachings change so often that there is never time for them to be settled, but the Lord’s Word remains the same from days of old, and it will remain unchanged eternally.’[1]



[1] Spurgeon, Charles Haddon . The Golden Alphabet (Updated, Annotated): An Exposition of Psalm 119 (pp. 157-158). Aneko Press. Kindle Edition

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God and His Wisdom: An Introduction to Proverbs

Friendship with the World

The Cost of Christlikeness