Psalm 119 - Ayin: An Active God

"Ayin. I have done justice and righteousness;

Do not leave me to my oppressors.

[122] Be surety for Your servant for good;

Do not let the arrogant oppress me.

[123] My eyes fail with longing for Your salvation

And for Your righteous word.

[124] Deal with Your servant according to Your lovingkindness

And teach me Your statutes.

[125] I am Your servant; give me understanding,

That I may know Your testimonies.

[126] It is time for the LORD to act,

For they have broken Your law.

[127] Therefore I love Your commandments

Above gold, yes, above fine gold.

[128] Therefore I esteem right all Your precepts concerning everything,

I hate every false way." 

(Psalm 119:121-128)

 

Our doing is all of Your doing through Your word (see also Isaiah 26:12, 1 Corinthians 1:30, James 1:18).  The Psalmist has done righteousness and justice, seeking Your protection, knowing that Your enemies are his enemies (vv. 121-122).  He knows that he has no righteousness or understanding of His own, so he seeks Your salvation, Your lovingkindness, Your righteousness, Your knowledge (vv. 123-125, see also Psalm 71:16).  Because You have acted for him miraculously, the Psalmist is convinced that You will act against Your (and his) enemies, not because they stand against him, but against You (v. 126, see also Psalm 2).  Because of this assurance, namely, that Yours are not empty but supremely active words, he treasures them above all earthly treasure (v. 127) and recognized their supreme value, all of them in everything (v. 128)!  Any lesser ways are false and worthy of our contempt.

 

‘In this octave, the psalmist first entreats the Lord to intervene on his behalf. He asks for judgment from the great King, just like David had dealt out justice to his own people. He then declares his genuine and unreserved satisfaction with all the Lord’s commands and precepts and begs Him to defend His own law. He writes from the standpoint of his official experience. In our public as well as our private position, the Word is precious.’[1]



[1]  Spurgeon, Charles Haddon . The Golden Alphabet (Updated, Annotated): An Exposition of Psalm 119 (pp. 199-200). Aneko Press. Kindle Edition.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God and His Wisdom: An Introduction to Proverbs

Friendship with the World

The Cost of Christlikeness