Psalm 119:41

(This is an entry from a devotional commentary I am working on from Psalm 119 entitled God and His Word.  The introduction can be found here, successive entries have covered the 22 sections of the Psalm, and following entries verse by verse.) 

"Vav. May Your lovingkindnesses also come to me, O LORD,

Your salvation according to Your word;"

 

‘Lovingkindnesses’.  This is the Hebrew חֶסֶד, chesed, here in the plural.    I think of the ‘fullness…grace upon grace’ of John 1:16, and the ‘lavished’ of Ephesians 1:7-8.  Is not Your ‘lovingkindness’ eternally enough?  Yes, but I believe the Psalmist emphasizes its aboundance (I misstyped that but I like it!) and its energy, i.e. it is always active.  Chesed upon chesed!  Grace upon grace, according to Your Word, according to Your Son.

 

‘He needed much mercy and varied mercy, hence the request is in the plural. He needed mercy from God rather than from man, and so he asks for “thy mercies.” The way sometimes seemed blocked, and therefore he begs that the mercies may have their way cleared by God, and may “come” to him. He who said, “Let there be light,” can also say, “Let there be mercy.” It may be that under a sense of unworthiness the writer feared lest mercy should be given to others, and not to himself; he therefore cries, “Bless me, even me also, O my Father.”’[1]



[1] Spurgeon, Charles Haddon, Treasury of David, on Psalm 119:41, e-Sword edition


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God and His Wisdom: An Introduction to Proverbs

Friendship with the World

Psalm 119:80