Psalm 119:15

(This is an entry from a devotional commentary I am working on from Psalm 119 entitled God and His Word.  The introduction can be found here, successive entries have covered the 22 sections of the Psalm, and following entries verse by verse.)

 

"I will meditate on Your precepts

And regard Your ways."

 

 

At first read, this seems understated.  ‘I will regard Your ways’ comes across something like, ‘I will also include You in my plans’, which sounds almost dismissive of You!  But a closer look at the text reveals something different.  So far in Beth the Psalmist has expressed his need of Your word to make him pure (9, 11), the wholeheartedness he wants to bring to it (10), and his rejoicing in it ‘as much as all riches’ (14).  It is with this understanding that he meditates (goes deep) on Your precepts.  Regard is the Hebrew נָבַט, naḇaṭ: A verb meaning to look, to watch, to regard. It has the sense of looking somewhat intensely in a focused way at something; to gaze: It is used in a figurative sense of looking at, considering the commands of the Lord to follow them (Psa 74:20; Psa 119:6, Psa 119:15, Psa 119:18);  so ‘the regard’ here might be better said ‘highest regard’ in the sense that we see it in James 1:24-25, looking intently into Your perfect law.  Because of its beauty and benefits - reflective of You, its Great Author, how could I look casually or look away?

 

‘He who has an inward delight in anything will not long withdraw his mind from it…to some men meditation is a task; to the man of cleansed way it is a joy…No spiritual exercise is more profitable to the soul than that of devout meditation; why are many of us so exceeding slack in it?... I will think much about them so as to know what thy ways are; and next, I will think much of them so as to have thy ways in great reverence and high esteem. I will see what thy ways are towards me that I may be filled with reverence, gratitude, and love; and then, I will observe what are those ways which thou hast. prescribed for me, thy ways in which thou wouldest have me follow thee.’[1]



[1] Spurgeon, Charles Haddon, Treasury of David, on Psalm 119:15, e-Sword edition


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God and His Wisdom: An Introduction to Proverbs

Friendship with the World

Precious in the Sight of the Lord