Psalm 119 - Shin: Peace

"Shin. Princes persecute me without cause,

But my heart stands in awe of Your words.

[162] I rejoice at Your word,

As one who finds great spoil.

[163] I hate and despise falsehood,

But I love Your law.

[164] Seven times a day I praise You,

Because of Your righteous ordinances.

[165] Those who love Your law have great peace,

And nothing causes them to stumble.

[166] I hope for Your salvation, O LORD,

And do Your commandments.

[167] My soul keeps Your testimonies,

And I love them exceedingly.

[168] I keep Your precepts and Your testimonies,

For all my ways are before You." 

(Psalm 119:161-168)

 

 

The treasure is secure.  Unjust persecution (v. 161) and falsehood (v. 163) could not keep the Psalmist from it, for he had found great spoil (v. 162) in Your word, and praised You unceasingly for it (v. 164).  The peace is beyond compare, enduring any circumstance (v. 165).  But the real benefit comes in the doing, which is the Psalmist’s most precious possession (see Psalm 119:60).  In his hope he does Your commandments (v. 166), in love he keeps them (v. 167), and he obeys in the light of Your presence (v. 168, see also Psalm 44:3, Psalm 90:8, Hebrews 4:12-13).

 

‘We are drawing near to the end. The pulse of Psalm 119 beats more quickly than usual. The sentences are shorter, the sense is more vivid, the tone is more full and deep. The veteran of a thousand battles and the receiver of ten thousand mercies rehearses his experience and again declares his loyalty to the Lord and His law. Oh, that when we come to the close of life we might be able to speak like David does as he closes his life-psalm! Not boastfully, but still boldly, he places himself among the obedient servants of the Lord. Oh, to be clear in conscience when life’s sun is setting!’[1]



[1]  Spurgeon, Charles Haddon . The Golden Alphabet (Updated, Annotated): An Exposition of Psalm 119 (pp. 249-250). Aneko Press. Kindle Edition.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God and His Wisdom: An Introduction to Proverbs

Friendship with the World

Precious in the Sight of the Lord