Psalm 119 Gimel: Bountiful Counselors

"Gimel. Deal bountifully with Your servant,

That I may live and keep Your word.

Open my eyes, that I may behold

Wonderful things from Your law.

I am a stranger in the earth;

Do not hide Your commandments from me.

My soul is crushed with longing

After Your ordinances at all times.

You rebuke the arrogant, the cursed,

Who wander from Your commandments.

Take away reproach and contempt from me,

For I observe Your testimonies.

Even though princes sit and talk against me,

Your servant meditates on Your statutes.

Your testimonies also are my delight;

They are my counselors." 

(Psalm 119:17-24)

 

While the Psalmist finds life, fellowship, and illumination in You (vv. 17-18), he finds death, alienation, and despair on earth (vv.19-23, also Psalm 119:87).  Seeking to be redeemed from the oppression of man (Psalm 119:134) by the arrogant and powerful who bring reproach and contempt, the Psalmist seeks continual illumination within through the counsel and comfort of Your word, which is ultimate truth (Psalm 119:43, Psalm 119:142, Psalm 119:151, Psalm 119:160).

 

‘In this section the trials of the way appear to be manifest to the Psalmist's mind, and he prays accordingly for the help which will meet his case. As in the last eight verses he prayed as a youth newly come into the world, so here he pleads as a servant and a pilgrim, who growingly finds himself to be a stranger in an enemy's country. His appeal is to God alone, and his prayer is specially direct and personal. He speaks with the Lord as a man speaketh with his friend. [Exodus 33:11]’[1]



[1] Spurgeon, Charles Haddon, Treasury of David, on Psalm 119 - Gimel, e-Sword edition

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God and His Wisdom: An Introduction to Proverbs

Friendship with the World

The Cost of Christlikeness