Psalm 119 - Daleth: Revived to Run

"Daleth. My soul cleaves to the dust;

Revive me according to Your word.

I have told of my ways, and You have answered me;

Teach me Your statutes.

Make me understand the way of Your precepts,

So I will meditate on Your wonders.

My soul weeps because of grief;

Strengthen me according to Your word.

Remove the false way from me,

And graciously grant me Your law.

I have chosen the faithful way;

I have placed Your ordinances before me.

I cling to Your testimonies;

O LORD, do not put me to shame!

I shall run the way of Your commandments,

For You will enlarge my heart." 

(Psalm 119:25-32)

 

 

Here in Daleth, You carry the Psalmist from cleaving to the dust to running the way of Your commandments.  He sees himself as earthbound and in despair, so he pours out his heart to You (v.26, see Psalm 62:8), he cries for understanding (v.27), weeps in weakness for strength (v.28), repents from his own false way (vv. 29-30), clings to Your word as he had previously cleaved to the dust (v.31), and runs in Your ways with an expectation of enlarged capacity (v.32). In football terms, he took the ball and ran with it, he hastened and did not delay (Psalm 119:59-60) with his most prized possession of obedience to Your perfect law (Psalm 119:56).

 

‘Here, it seems to me, we have the Psalmist in trouble bewailing the bondage to earthly things in which he finds his mind to be held. His soul cleaves to the dust, melts for heaviness, and cries for enlargement from its spiritual prison.  In these verses we shall see the influence of the divine word upon a heart which laments its downward tendencies, and is filled with mourning because of its deadening surroundings. The word of the Lord evidently arouses prayer (Psalm 119:25-29), confirms choice (Psalm 119:30), and inspires renewed resolve (Psalm 119:32): it is in all tribulation whether of body or mind the surest source of help.

This portion has D for its alphabetical letter: it sings of Depression, in the spirit of Devotion, Determination, and Dependence.’[1]



[1] Spurgeon, Charles Haddon, Treasury of David, on Psalm 119 - Daleth, e-Sword edition

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God and His Wisdom: An Introduction to Proverbs

Friendship with the World

The Cost of Christlikeness