Psalm 119 - Heth: Ask, Seek, Knock, and Go

"Heth. The LORD is my portion;

I have promised to keep Your words.

I sought Your favor with all my heart;

Be gracious to me according to Your word.

I considered my ways

And turned my feet to Your testimonies.

I hastened and did not delay

To keep Your commandments.

The cords of the wicked have encircled me,

But I have not forgotten Your law.

At midnight I shall rise to give thanks to You

Because of Your righteous ordinances.

I am a companion of all those who fear You,

And of those who keep Your precepts.

The earth is full of Your lovingkindness, O LORD;

Teach me Your statutes." 

(Psalm 119:57-64 NASB95)

 

 

Because You are my portion (v. 57) and Your favor overrules the favor of men (v. 58) , I have promised to keep Your words, live a life that is dependent upon Your grace, examining my ways before You, running in Your commands.  Neither the wicked nor the dark of night can keep me from You.  I seek Your presence in those who fear You (v. 63) and see Your lovingkindness all about in a world that doesn’t.

 

‘In this section the Psalmist seems to take firm hold upon God himself; appropriating him (Psa 119:57), crying out for him (Psa 119:58), returning to him (Psa 119:59), solacing himself in him (Psa 119:61, Psa 119:62), associating with his people (Psa 119:63), and sighing for personal experience of his goodness (Psa 119:64). Note how Psa 119:57 is linked to the last of the former one, of which indeed it is an expanded repetition. “This I had because I kept thy precepts. Thou art my portion, O Lord: I have said that I would keep thy words.”’[1]



[1] Spurgeon, Charles Haddon, Treasury of David, on Psalm 119 - Heth, e-Sword edition

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God and His Wisdom: An Introduction to Proverbs

Friendship with the World

Psalm 119:80