Satisfied With Our Works? Part 2

(This is a continuation of my previous post.)

As always, we look to Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith (Hebrews 12:2), and not to ourselves.

"Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father is in Me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on My own initiative, but the Father abiding in Me does His works."
(Jesus, John 14:10 NASB)

Jesus said to them, "My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me and to accomplish His work." (John 4:34 NASB)

Jesus was satisfied with His words and works; more specifically, He was satisfied with the words and works of God the Father in Him.

What does this mean for you and me in Christ?

But by His doing you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption, so that, just as it is written, "LET HIM WHO BOASTS, BOAST IN THE LORD."
(1 Corinthians 1:30-31 NASB)

Now, I want to make an important connection here:

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied."
(Jesus, Matthew 5:6 NASB)

Other Scriptures reinforce this truth, that only righteousness satisfies (see also Psalm 17:15, Proverbs 13:25 for examples). 

Even now as I meditate on these truths, I feel the pride welling up within me, insidious sin that would reject all of this and seek to establish my own righteousness.  These truths are wondrously humbling, and just what is needed.

So…

If only His righteousness will satisfy,
     and if we are to be satisfied with the fruit of our words and works,
          then only His works in us
           - will satisfy God
           - will satisfy us

As I've often said, you can't build on 'can't', but you can build on 'can', and the only 'can' is the work of Christ.

Father, I want the thoughts, words, and works of Christ to overtake my life.  Father, Lord, for Your glory make it so.  Display Yourself in such a way!

In His Grip,

Mark




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God and His Wisdom: An Introduction to Proverbs

Friendship with the World

The Cost of Christlikeness