Satisfied With Our Works?

 
Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.
(Romans 6:4 NASB)

and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe. These are in accordance with the working of the strength of His might which He brought about in Christ, when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places,

(Ephesians 1:19-20 NASB)

Jesus said to them, "My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me and to accomplish His work.
(John 4:34 NASB)


It’s amazing to me how fast this year has gone.  I find this is to be true the first part of each year, perhaps no more than this year.  It’s hard to believe that my last blog entry was nearly 4 months ago!

How does the perfectionist process this?  He seeks to make up ground to make up for all past omissions and commissions of sin.   Ridiculous?  Yes.  Impossible?  Yes.  Even if it were possible, would it satisfy?

Indulge me to back up on some recent reflections on the topic…

Those who love Your law have great peace, And nothing causes them to stumble.
(Psalm 119:165 NASB)

Ever since I memorized this verse years ago I recognized the obvious conflict in my life.  Those who know me best would say that I profess a great love for the Scriptures as God’s word.  However, I don’t believe those same people would say that peace is a dominant characteristic of my life.

Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful.
(Colossians 3:15 NASB)

It’s as if I have a false profession belied by my actions.  If I profess Him as Lord, certain evidence should follow, and peace is central to that evidence. 

‘…Christ in you, the hope of glory…’
– from Colossians 1:27

Yes!

Even now, as I seek to review key truths God has impressed upon my heart, I feel immense pressure to make up for every mistake I have ever made and to finally ‘get my act together.’

This burden weighs on me most every day, but especially on weekends.  As ludicrous as it seems when I write it down, the oppressive wave of this in my heart feels quite real, despite its immense falsehood.  Such is the power of the lie.  It cannot be overcome with the logic of the human mind, but must be fought spiritually.  My ongoing study of Ephesians 6:10-17 is helping me greatly here.

Of the Jewish spiritual leaders, the Apostle Paul said this:
For not knowing about God's righteousness and seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God.
(Romans 10:3 NASB)

Paul, coming from that world, stated it this way concerning himself:
More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ, and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith,
(Philippians 3:8-9 NASB)

If I seek to establish my own righteousness, then my god is myself.

Yes, I believe both parts of that statement are equally ludicrous!

Yet, I find each day the burden of seeking to establish my own righteousness.  This is a burden both impossible and unnecessary.

Father, grant me repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth of Christ’s righteousness, a deep truth imparted to my innermost being (Psalm 51:6).  Grant me grace to joyfully subject myself by faith to Your righteousness, to let Your peace rule in my heart as love for the truth of Your word takes hold.  I notice how this comes together wonderfully:

Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
(Romans 5:1 NASB)

So now, what place do works have?

A man will be satisfied with good by the fruit of his words, And the deeds of a man's hands will return to him.
(Proverbs 12:14 NASB)

So, the pressure is back on to establish my own righteousness, right?  No!  This must be lived out in the truth of ‘Christ in you, the hope of glory’ (from Colossians 1:27).  Because only righteousness satisfies (Matthew 5:6), only the righteous work of Christ in me will satisfy both God and me, just as the Father’s work did for Christ Himself (John 4:34, John 14:10).  More on this next time, Lord willing…

In His Grip,

Mark





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God and His Wisdom: An Introduction to Proverbs

Friendship with the World

The Cost of Christlikeness