The Shepherds' Conference

"Then I will give you shepherds after My own heart, who will feed you on knowledge and understanding. "
(Jeremiah 3:15 NASB)

And all the people gathered as one man at the square which was in front of the Water Gate, and they asked Ezra the scribe to bring the book of the law of Moses which the LORD had given to Israel.
(Nehemiah 8:1 NASB)


More than any other Scripture, these two passages have informed my prayers regarding church life in recent years. In short, I pray for feeding 'shepherds' (pastors) and hungry 'sheep' (church members). It continues to be a joy to watch that unfold in reality.

Perhaps no environment I have ever been in exemplifies this better than the Shepherds' Conference. Even though it is simply a three day event for pastors and church leaders, it provides opportunity both to interact with many people from a very healthy church, but to be exposed to rigorous and challenging Bible teaching among many healthy and hungry church leaders. I find that its effects are ongoing in the lives of those who participate.

What I noticed when I first attended in 2005 was that the word of God both satisfies (Jeremiah 15:16) and makes one hungry for more (Matthew 4:4). Proverbs 2:1-5 informed my first conference, as I sought to absorb the incredible volume of teaching I was receiving as fully as I could, and this propelled me to a deeper level of ongoing learning that is a profound joy to me to this day. It may be the closest thing to seminary that I ever get!

There is much I could say about my experience at the conference from 2005-2007 and 2010, and I anticipate future blog posts may reflect this. In the meantime, you can see video highlights of the conference, and I encourage you to take advantage of the free audio and video resources from the conference.  In particular I'd like to highlight the sessions and workshops I was privileged to attend:

  • General Session 1: Separating from Unbelievers, John MacArthur, 2 Corinthians 6:14-7:1
  • General Session 2: Preaching in the Spirit's Power, Tom Pennington, 2 Corinthians 2:1-5
  • General Session 3: A Ministry of Integrity, John MacArthur, 2 Corinthians 5:11-17
  • General Session 4: Faithful Ministry in a Hostile World, Rick Holland, Luke 12:1-12
  • General Session 5: An Interview with John MacArthur
  • General Session 6: No Little People, No Little Sermons, Al Mohler, John 9
  • General Session 7: Marching Orders for a Backslidden Church, Phil Johnson, 1 Corinthians 16:13
  • General Session 8: The Invisible War, Steve Lawson, Job 1
  • General Session 9: The Power and Pity of Jesus, John MacArthur, Mark 5:21-43
  • Seminar 1: The Good Shepherd, Jim Pile
  • Seminar 2: Thy Kingdom Come, Matt Waymeyer
  • Seminar 3: Rightly Divided, Bill Barrick
  • Seminar 4: How the Future Got Lost in History, Nathan Busenitz

Overall, I was struck by the pervasive perfection of Jesus' ministry. This was emphasized in particular in General Sessions 6 (Al Mohler) and 9 (John MacArthur), where we see Jesus so personally involved in demonstrating His power in the lives of people. I find myself both overwhelmed at the level of commitment required and joyful at the prospect of leaning on my Savior so closely so that His power will be demonstrated in my own life.

It is my hope that you both enjoy and demonstrate the beauty of Christ in your life.


Mark


Comments

  1. It was so wonderful to have you guys, Mark. I look forward even to next year!

    Incidentally, there's a post up today over at my place that's based on Al Mohler's message in General Session 6. Hopefully it'll be beneficial to you and your readers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

God and His Wisdom: An Introduction to Proverbs

Friendship with the World

Precious in the Sight of the Lord